|Tuesday, November 30, 2021
You are here: Home » News » Canary Islands News » Virtual tourist guides on their way for “digital” Arona
  • Follow Us!

Virtual tourist guides on their way for “digital” Arona 

Arona is leading the tourism digital transformation of Tenerife with an investment of 5.6 million euros.

The ‘Arona Smart Tourist Destination’ project, promoted by the Arona City Council Tourist Board, has been selected by Red.es with an investment of more than 5.6 million euros, and is already in the tender stage. 

Arona thus leads the digital transformation of tourism in Tenerife, with which an intelligent management strategy of the destination becomes a reality, relying on the municipality’s own values ​​such as sustainability, accessibility and innovation.

José Julián Mena, Mayor of Arona, said: “It is essential to provide the municipality with tools to evolve towards the concept of a tourist destination with an intelligent management strategy. The digital transformation cannot remain in speeches, but in facts. Just as we once led tourism in the south of Tenerife, we will now lead its next advance, its digital transformation. Because Arona is, and should be, the mirror in which the rest of the tourist destinations in the Canary Islands are looked at.”

Arona led tourism in the south of Tenerife in the middle of the last century and, as a pioneer municipality in the sector, now leads the new way of understanding tourism in the Canary Islands, with a digital transformation that is ahead of the profile of the 21st century tourist.

With a maximum investment of 5,672,939.80 euros, Red.es, a public entity dependent on the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation of the Government of Spain, has supported the Arona Smart Tourist Destination project, a commitment of the City Council of Arona, through its Tourist Board, with which an intelligent management strategy for the destination becomes a reality. Red.es will contribute 58% of the investment and the city council the remaining 42%.

Arona Smart Tourist Destination will consolidate the municipality as an innovative tourist destination, based on a cutting-edge technological infrastructure that will guarantee the sustainable development of the tourist territory, accessible to all, will facilitate the interaction and integration of the visitor with the environment and will increase the quality of their experience, at the same time that it will improve the quality of life of the citizens of Arona.

 Councillor for Tourism, José Alberto Delgado said: “Technology and the search for innovative solutions are of outstanding relevance when facing this new socioeconomic scenario, after the health crisis. The profile of tourists is constantly evolving and Arona must go ahead. With Arona Smart Destination we guarantee the continuity of the tourist destination for the new generations and digital natives, and at the same time we will improve the efficiency and the tourist competitiveness of the municipality ”.

Arona Smart Destination will be a platform that will provide the municipality with artificial intelligence, improving the tourist and resident experience, with meteorological stations that will allow knowing the municipality’s meteorological conditions, pollution or noise levels and configuring actions in case of alerts, a smart parking system, which facilitates the management of parking spaces and the location of a public car park with free spaces or a virtual tourist agent, the Smart Planner, capable of proposing changes of route or plans based on individual preferences, the context situation and geolocation.