|Friday, June 5, 2020
You are here: Home » News » News from Spain » British dad publicly thanks hospital after coronavirus recovery
  • Follow Us!

British dad publicly thanks hospital after coronavirus recovery 

A British father-of-two who was tested positive for coronavirus inMallorca has penned an emotive message encouraging people not to panic and to understand all sides of the story.

The 46-year-old, understand to be living on the island with his family as an ex-pat, has been given the all-clear and released from hospital in Palma after two weeks in quarantine.

He contracted the disease after spending time in a French ski resort. His wife and two daughters, aged seven and ten, were tested negative but kept in for observation. A seven-year-old boy who had been in contact with the family also tested negative.

The man, who has not been named, has publicly thanked the staff at the University Hospital of Son Espases and says he is very happy to be back in full health.

Despite 2,000 deaths from the coronavirus, the British father says he thought it would help others to know his side of the story.

Posting his emotive message on the hospital’s Facebook site, he said: “All of our ski group, including the 11 in England and France, have recovered quickly from the virus. We all experienced mild symptoms and required minimal medical treatment during our time in isolation. We understand the virus can be dangerous for some, but we also want to share the important facts of our own situation to help reassure people.”

“I would like to offer my thanks to all the staff at Son Espases who have supported me and my family in many ways during our time at the hospital. Equally thank you to all those in the health service and related organisations in Mallorca and the mainland. Thanks finally for the support I have received from family, friends and the public. I am very grateful to all of you. I’d like to ask for the continued respect of my and my family’s privacy.”

The 46-year-old man was the second person in Spain to be tested positive for the virus.

He had travelled to France on January 25th and flew back to Mallorca on January 29th.

A German tourist visiting the Canary Island of La Gomera was also confirmed to have contracted the virus and was kept in isolation for a fortnight. He too has been given the all-clear and allowed home.