|Saturday, October 23, 2021
You are here: Home » Motoring world » Emma & Graham Swain » What should I carry in the car?
  • Follow Us!

What should I carry in the car? 

As we are in the festive season, you will no doubt have noticed more police about on the roads and for this reason we feel it a good idea to remind readers of what they should carry in their vehicle in order that they can avoid fines (multas) if you are unfortunate enough to be stopped. We have of course covered this subject in the past. If you are stopped remain polite to the officers and follow their instructions especially if you are asked to get out of the car.

In order to be legal, and for your own safety you must carry reflective jackets in the car for the amount of occupants, so if your car is a five seater then technically you should carry five. These must be accessible from the inside of the car as they must be put on before exiting the car. If you breakdown on the motorway first put on your jacket and get your two warning triangle from the boot and position them one in front of the car at approximately 15 metres and the other at the rear again approximately at 15 metres away. Stay with your car but it is safer to climb over the safety barrier and wait the other side of that for the breakdown truck to arrive. All passengers should also leave the vehicle and wait with you in a safe place i.e. other side of barrier or on another road safely away from oncoming traffic.

Aside from this you should always make sure that you have a legal spare tyre or run flat, regular checks of this are important, they could save you a lot of heartache and worry and loss of time when tavelling.

With regards to paperwork then this is of course far more complex. Firstly, you should note that all paperwork carried MUST be an ORIGINAL. This means that you must carry:

1- Permiso de ciculacion de vehiculo , this is the car’s permission to be on the road.This document carries the make, model, engine size, fuel type, chassis number , registration number, date of first matriculacion and the date of the last change of ownership.Of course it also bears the owner’s name and surname but no longer shows the address due to data protection, but this is held on the Trafico system .
2-Ficha Tecnica- this is basically the car’s log book holding all the technical data, engine size, model, tyre sizes and the optional sizes permitted along with the manufacturer’s details and the chassis number.On the reverse of this ( although the newer versions are A4 size so details are all on one side) are details about the ITV and when it is valid until.It is important to note that there will be a specific date on here whereas on the sticker displayed in the windscreen it shows only the month that it is valid until.
3- your in date photocard driving licence either a Spanish one or if you are not resident then a European one, only where appropriate.
4- your current in date passport
5- Your current and up to date Residencia.
6-Your insurance documents and the receipt for proof of payment of the premium. (For this we recommend that you have a good “sort out” of old papers and only keep the most current up to date ones in the car to avoid any confusion)

If you do not wish to carry your original passport and Residencia then if you obtain Notarized copies these are acceptable legally. With regard to the Ficha Tecnica and Permiso de circulacion, for a fee at Trafico, you can obtain what is known as Copias compulsada of these documents which again are legal to carry and produce if stopped the police.

Other things that you are not legally obliged to carry but can prove useful are a pen and notepad or some paper, small torch, an accident claims form and a small medical kit. This list is by no means exhaustive but is a guideline for you.