|Wednesday, December 8, 2021
You are here: Home » Daily News » Canary police arrest two men for bizarre kidnap and ransom plot
  • Follow Us!

Canary police arrest two men for bizarre kidnap and ransom plot 

Police in the Canary Islands have helped to arrest two Chinese citizens for kidnapping a fellow countryman and holding him for five days in an industrial building in the Madrid town of Serranillos del Valle.

The captors demanded that the victim ask his relatives to pay 8,000 euros, under the threat of cutting off his fingers, and assaulted him on several occasions by beating and kicking him. After payment from a Chinese account, the man was released, having previously signed a letter stating that he had voluntarily remained in the place and owed the money paid for the ransom.
The investigation began when agents from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria had evidence of the kidnapping of an Asian citizen on February 6th, 2019. The events occurred when the man arrived at Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas airport from Copenhagen. The victim planned to stay with a friend in Madrid. However, once in the capital, this person picked him up and transferred him by car to Serranillos del Valle where they went to a nearby industrial estate and, by deception, made him enter a warehouse in which two men took all his belongings and forced him into a forklift.
The kidnappers made several videos of the victim inside the cabin and sent them to his relatives in order to pressure them to make the payment. The man remained in the warehouse for five days, being guarded by one of the now detained, who was responsible for providing food and accompanying him to the bathroom.
On the fifth day of captivity, once a relative of the victim made a bank deposit with the total amount of the amount required in a Chinese banking entity, they forced him to write a letter. Later they covered his head, took him out of the industrial building and took him by car to a place near the Cobo Calleja estate in the town of Fuenlabrada (Madrid), where he was told not to remove the balaclava until a few minutes had elapsed.
The next day the victim took a plane to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria where he filed the complaint. After eight months of police investigation, the two men responsible were arrested.