What should I do in the case of a car accident?
Summer is coming in beautiful, sunny Spain. With temperatures soaring it’s a great feeling, although a tad hot at times for all expats that live and work in this tranquilo environment; tranquilo that is until the influx of tourists from many countries around the world especially from Britain and the rest of Europe.
Now, more than other times during the year, one needs to be even more careful than ever on the roads. With all these extra cars and drivers, who are perhaps more used to driving on the left, an increase in the risk of traffic accidents is inevitable.
Always make sure your tyre pressures are correct by checking them at least once a month. Also check your car’s radiator level is topped up; the last thing you want is to overheat and have to wait for a breakdown truck on the edge of a busy motorway! It’s also illegal to run out of screen wash, so make sure this is topped up too. And driving with flip-flops or shoes with no back is not permitted either. Needless to say, seat belts must be worn all round, and young children need safety harnesses. Using mobile phones are a definite no, INCLUDING texting, which is probably worse than speaking.
Should the unthinkable happen, here are some tips that everyone, from a new driver to an experienced one, should remember in the case of an accident:
- Stay calm and wear the reflective vest
- Get to a safe area near the accident scene, turn on your emergency flashers and use the two triangles
- Make sure everyone is okay and call 112, if necessary
- When it is safe, take pictures of the vehicles involved, damage, road signs, etc.
- Get statements and contact information from any witnesses
- Complete the accident report: write down the other driver’s licence number, insurance details, vehicle information and phone number. Remember it has to be signed by both drivers and reported within seven days; If you need road assistance, call immediately to 900 101 369, Liberty Freephone Number, where you will be attended in your own language.
LIBERTY SEGUROS Car Insurance is tailor-made with you in mind and is perfect for Expats in Spain. It offers total coverage to both the driver and passengers in case of an accident, as well as 24/7 roadside assistance by calling a freephone number. It also includes a courtesy car for up to 35 days, personal liability for you as a pedestrian or amateur cyclist and you will get a 30% compensation on top of book value in case of total loss or theft. You can also select a vehicle repair garage of your choice to trust and give you peace of mind.
Liberty Seguros is considered the preferred expat insurer in Spain today and has an extensive network of over 300 brokers and agents, who have many years of experience, and are dedicated to give you in-depth information about the different policies not only for car, but also life, home, business, commercial, funeral, etc., and advise you on the best cover to suit you and your family, in your own language.
To find out more visit www.libertyexpatriates.es or call 91 342 25 49.For more information, please contact: Julia Chacón / Julia@plcspain.com /956 794 112