|Monday, August 19, 2019
You are here: Home » News » Canary Islands News » Family of missing Yeremi Vargas want “suspect” reinvestigated
  • Follow Us!

Family of missing Yeremi Vargas want “suspect” reinvestigated 

The family of Yéremi Vargas, the boy who disappeared in Gran Canaria 12 years ago, are pressing for the case to be reopened and a prime suspect now in prison reinvestigated.

Their new lawyer, Marcos García Montes announced at a press conference that in September he will present a series of initiatives to de-nounce legal rulings made in October 2017.
At that time, a judge said there was no evidence to suggest that a convicted paedophile, known as “El Rubio”, had been involved but the family believe he is the only person to have had the opportunity and the motive. They say he was spotted in the same area of Gran Canaria from where Yeremi disappear-ed and it was in a car which the police had put out an appeal to trace.
The paedophile, currently in prison, has apparently already confessed to a fellow prisoner that he was responsible and had burned Yeremi’s body.
The family’s announcement was made on the day Yeremi would have turned 20.
TIthaisa Suárez, his mother, said the family faced this new stage “with great hope” and were confident they would one day know the truth. They hoped they could at least recover his remains, bury him and then have a place to go to mourn and bring flowers.
“We have been suffering for 12 years,” she said.
The family would like a new judge to take reopen the case and follow the lines of the Civil Guard investigation, over which they have no complains.
Sr. Garcia Montes said he had commissioned a team of criminologists and experts to review the procedure to try to reopen it.
He said the work carried out by the Civil Guard team for more than a decade of had been “coherent and im-peccable” and had led to the investigation of “El Rubio”. He and the family believe this man’s conversation with a fellow prisoner had not been sufficiently investigated.