|Wednesday, December 8, 2021
You are here: Home » Daily News » What to do about food poisoning
  • Follow Us!

What to do about food poisoning 

Food poisoning is rarely serious and usually gets better within a week. You can normally treat yourself or your child at home.

Symptoms of food poisoning include feeling sick (nausea), diarrhoea, being sick (vomiting), stomach cramps, a high temperature of 38C or above and feeling generally unwell, such as being tired or having aches and chills
The symptoms usually start within a few days of eating the food that caused the infection. Sometimes they start after a few hours or not for a few weeks.
You can usually treat yourself or your child at home. The symptoms usually pass within a week.
Stay off school or work until the symptoms have stopped for two days. This is when you’re most infectious.
How you get food poisoning
You can catch food poisoning if you eat something that has been contaminated with germs. This can happen if food:
Isn’t cooked or reheated thoroughly
Isn’t stored correctly – for example, it’s not been frozen or chilled
Is left out for too long
Is handled by someone who’s ill or hasn’t washed their hands
Is eaten after its “use by” date
Any type of food can cause food poisoning.