|Monday, September 28, 2020
You are here: Home » hot news » Hotel chains hailed as basis for Tenerife’s thriving tourism
  • Follow Us!

Hotel chains hailed as basis for Tenerife’s thriving tourism 

Tenerife’s successful tourism model is based very much on hotel chains, a new study has revealed.

Of the 239 hotel establishments registered on the island, 132 are in the hands of chains (56 per cent), both insular, national and international, in front of the remaining 107 (44 per cent) who are independent.

More than 82 per cent of the 89,197 hotel beds (73,333) are managed by a chain, compared with the remaining 18 per cent of beds, which are part of independent hotel companies. This shows that independent structures are smaller and with a lower capacity (15,863 beds).

The figures were presented to the hotel association, Ashotel and have been compiled by researchers at the University of La Laguna.

The breakdown is: Iberostar (4,812 beds), Meliá (4,777), H10 Hotels (4,614), Hovima Hotels (4,005), Be Live Hotels (3,434), GF Hotels ( 2,850), RIU Hotels & Resorts (2,727), Gema Beach (2,338), Barceló Hotel Group (2,319) and Blue Sea Hotels (2,233).

 Among the 19 island chains analysed, nine count with more than 1,000 seats. Of these, the largest volume is Hovima Hotels (4,005 beds), followed by GF Hoteles (2,850), Gema Playa (2,338), Spring Hotels (2,109), Dreamplace Hotels (1,660), Adrián Hoteles (1,385), Sand & Sea Hotels (1,120) and Coral Hotels (1,014). The remaining 11 chains with a corporate headquarters in Tenerife range from 39 places of XQ Hotels to 924 of Kn H & R, passing through Hecansa (143), Adonis Resort (260), RF Hotels (278), Grupo Pez Azul (306), Della Hoteles (337), Trianflor Hoteles (355), Grupo Altalay (486), PY H & R (564) and The Tais-CIO (732).

Raúl Hernández of the university’s tourism studies said Tenerife had another 50,000 apartments and 50,000 (estimated data) of holiday rentals.

He pointed out that the Canaries’ tourist development in its initial phase was simpler than that of the Balearic Islands, for example, which has seasons of six months, while in the Canary Islands “we are open for 12 months.”

Ashotel manager, Juan Pablo González said the hotel chain system in Tenerife responds to the model that the island has been providing for decades and, without a doubt, “has been successful”, compared to other models with greater weight of extra-hotel plants . In that sense, he added that Tenerife has the highest concentration of five star hotels throughout Europe, with 32 establishments of this category in the south of the island. However, he recalled that the largest product in Tenerife is that of four star hotels.