|Tuesday, December 10, 2019
You are here: Home » hot news » More than 210 artisans to take part in Pinolere regional fair of handicrafts
  • Follow Us!

More than 210 artisans to take part in Pinolere regional fair of handicrafts 

The Pinolere Regional Fair of Handicrafts in La Orotava will have 210 artisans from all over the archipelago.

The traditional show, which is in its 30th edition, will be held between August 31st and September 2nd in the Pinolere ethnographic park.

This year, it will be de-dicated to traditional cos-tumes although over tgbe three days, you can enjoy the art of multiple artisans, various disciplines and traditional trades.

La Orotava council recently presented the official poster, the work of the local photo-grapher and person closely linked to the fair, Yapci Gomez Lima.

The artist used the women embroiderers of La Orotava as his inspiration, portraying aged hands to reflect the generations that have dedicated them-selves to embroider the typical costumes. Gomez Lima stressed the importance of conserving and enhancing the use of traditional clothing and the need to keep traditional crafts alive.

During the presentation ceremony attended by the Mayor Francisco Linares; councillor for local economic development, Efraín Medina, and the manager of the Pinolere Cultural Association, Jesús García, details were given of the broad programme of events that will take place during the three days of the fair, during which it is expected to receive more than 30,000 people . On this occasion there are a total of 210 artisans, 60 per cent from Tenerife and the remaining 40 per cent from the rest of the islands of the archipelago. There is a waiting list of some 30 more craftsmen but due to the conditions of the space the number cannot be increased.

This year the Fair is dedicated to traditional costumes, so the motto of the show is ‘stitches with thread’. In addition, tribute will be paid to the town of Sabinosa in El Hierro, so there will be activities and traditional elements hand in hand with the residents of this town.

Visitors can enjoy important musical performances that will set the scene. The Los Gofio-nes group, Premio Canarias, will put the finishing touch on the closing of the fair as a tribute to the artisans. The Calicanto group from Lan-zarote will also act, consisting of a score of women. And there will be the Folkloric Associ-ation Sabinosa, the oldest in the Canary Islands.

Throughout the weekend, many other attractive activities will be offered to all the public, such as craft workshops. And no less relevant will be the exhibitions of traditional costumes, which are worked from the Pinolere Cultural Association in coordination with the Sectoral Council of the traditional clothing of Tenerife.

Sr. Linares stressed the fair is an important showcase for artisans to market their products and a great oppor-tunity for all those who are dedicated, with much sa-crifice, to ancient crafts. He highlighted the involvement of the three public adminis-trations – the Government of the Canary Islands, Tenerife Ca-bildo and La Orotava council – and the fundamental support of private companies.