|Wednesday, July 28, 2021
You are here: Home » Motoring world » Emma & Graham Swain » What do I really need to buy and transfer a car?
  • Follow Us!

What do I really need to buy and transfer a car? 

There are many people giving conflicting advice on what is ACTUALLY needed to buy a car. Here we put to bed some rumours and errors and state exactly what is required and what both the buyer and seller need to do.

We will firstly look at the seller. Obviously if selling privately then they must advertise or spread their request by word of mouth. If selling to a garage or part exchanging then this is cut out. Once a buyer is found then the whole process starts. For selling to an individual you will need a copy of their NIE/RESIDENCIA or DNI (just a copy in this case), if the person only holds a NIE or Residencia then a copy of an in-date passport is also required. If the passport is out of date then an up to date copy must be obtained.

The forms that must be signed by the seller are the contrato de compra-venta and the application form for Tráfico (solicitud de transmisión de vehículo). The seller should also provide proof that the current years road taxes (RODAJE or Impuesto de tración de mecánica) have been paid as this information may sometimes not have reached Tráfico and if it is shown as unpaid a transfer cannot be completed. Town Halls now as a matter of course advise Tráfico of outstanding road taxes, this is a way of getting their money as it effectively blocks a transfer until such time as that debt is cleared. A simple check first can make this a hassle-free process.

The purchaser must have an NIE to complete the transfer but some garages MAY allow the purchase on a passport number provided an NIE is being applied for swiftly. The buyer will need to sign the contrato de compra-venta, the solicitud de transmisión de vehículo, the Modelo 620 and an authorization for Hacienda; and if someone else is doing the transfer on their behalf also an authorization for Tráfico. They will have to supply copies of their documents for the tax and the ORIGINALS for Tráfico, i.e. Passport, NIE/RESIDENCIA/DNI. Tráfico DO NOT AND WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES accept photocopies for the buyer BUT Notarised copies are accepted. If the transfer is being undertaken by a gestoria whom is registered with the colegio de gestorias and processed via the colegio de gestorias then copies are accepted once the gestor has seen the originals.

Tax is payable on all purchases, and whilst it is normally the buyer’s responsibility it is in the interest of the seller to ensure the transfer out of their name is completed and often the cost is split. The current rate of tax is 5.5% of the official valuation which often has no bearing whatsoever on the price being paid. You can find the official valuation at www.aeat.es. which is partly available in English or by calling 012 and asking. In order to obtain an accurate valuation, you will need the exact make, model, the number of doors, original date of first registration together with potencia fiscal and engine size, all of which is normally available on the cars Ficha Técnica.

If a car is over 10 years old then the rules are slightly different and fixed taxes apply.

Cars 0-1000cc tax due is 40€

1001-1500 cc tax due is 70€

1501-2000cc tax due is 115€

If the car is over ten years of age and the engine is bigger that a 2000 cc (i.e. 2 ltr) then the normal rules apply.

Before buying a car privately it is important to check that there are no embargo’s or debts on the car and Motorworld are able to do this for you as are other legally registered companies. If you do not do this and find at Tráfico there is an embargo on the car, it can be very difficult to sort out and sometimes is not cost effective to do so, rendering the car worthless and unsaleable. When using the services of someone to do this for you they must be a Registered Tráfico Collaborator or Gestoria registered with the colegio de gestorias.