|Monday, September 28, 2020
You are here: Home » Daily News » Transvulcania goes ahead as normal despite La Palma’s devastating fire
  • Follow Us!

Transvulcania goes ahead as normal despite La Palma’s devastating fire 

The 2017 edition of La Palma Transvulcania wil go-ahead as normal despite this summer’s extensive island fire, organisers have pledged.

They said many people has asked if the challenge would be affected because of the forest blaze which destroyed about seven per cent of the territory and took nearly a week to control.

Minister of Youth and Sports of the Cabildo de La Palma, Ascension Rodriguez said: “Some people have asked us about the possible consequences that the recent fire in La Palma may have had on the Transvulcania. We have sent out a message of reassurance, since the route of the test maintains its appeal and the various services of the Cabildo are working on the trails to make sure they are in a good a condition as soon as possible.”

All the signs already point towards a record test on May 13th as within three months alone, 1,300 runners had already registered.

“This year, the pace of registration of participants is proving much higher than in previous years, which accounts for the interest that the test is still awakening among trail runners worldwide,” said the minister.

The Transvulcania will be limited to 3,200 participants in its edition of 2017.

Of the 1,300 seats already occupied, 925 are for the ultra-marathon; 215 to the half marathon; 136 to the mara-thon and 24 to the vertical kilometre.

The Minister of Sports stressed that this increase was influenced by aspects like the live broadcast of the test which was followed by more than 66,000 visitors from over 107 countries. This special audiovisual half-hour had a international distribution in more than 100 countries around the world through networks such as Fox Sports, Sky Sports UK, Universal Sports Network and Prisa TV / Canal +.