|Thursday, May 13, 2021
You are here: Home » News » Local News » Opening of Barranco del Infierno “moving forward”
  • Follow Us!

Opening of Barranco del Infierno “moving forward” 

Adeje council says it is “moving in the right direction” towards the eventual reopening of the Barranco del Infier-no hiking trail.

The once highly-popular “Hell’s Gorge” has been closed since 2009 since a fatal accident and there have been a number of announcements about trying to open it again.

Now, however, a meeting has taken place between Tenerife Cabildo and Adeje council with the express purpose of allowing the public to use the barranco again. No time-scale has been indicated but the Mayor, José Miguel Rodríguez Fraga says it will be “as soon as possible”, depending on the administrative procedures.

Among those present at the meeting were Ana Lupe Mora who is councillor for roads for Tenerife Cabildo. She commented: “We have had a meeting to present the study, the viability plan and the programme of works, including cleaning, for the opening of the Barranco del Infierno. To do this, we have engaged the public company Tragsa which will be responsible for executing this project.”

The Mayor said the barranco was still closed following the heavy rain earlier this year which had left the trail virtually inaccessible. He understood people wanted to enjoy “this natural wonder” and the surrounding environment but they had to ensure access for walkers. People’s safety had to be the priority.