|Monday, July 26, 2021
You are here: Home » News » Business news » A tour round Club Sail
  • Follow Us!

A tour round Club Sail 

International boating qualifications Club Sail

In the Beginning

Club Sail Sea School, a family run business, was founded in 1987 by John Williams an experienced Yachtmaster Ocean / Master of Yachts 200 Unlimited, who has now been continually training Skippers at all levels for more than 27 years. We opened a base on Tenerife in 1988 and for the first 26 years, the school was an RYA Recognized Training Establishment and the first RYA School to be permitted to operate abroad. Although initially Club Sail was a Sailing School, in the early 90’s we included Motor Yachting and Power-boating offering courses at all levels in all three disciplines.

And then there was IYT

One of the benefits of operating a boating school on Tenerife is that it is an International Community of Ex-Pats as well as tourists, who also require boating qualifications, in particular the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). Unfortunately, the RYA system did not fully cater for the International Community here. The ICC from the RYA can only be issued to persons of British Nationality or residing in the UK and courses had to be delivered in the English language. As a National sailing association, the RYA system just did not fit the needs of an International Community; we therefore turned to International Yacht Training Worldwide, a global leader in marine certification. IYT is based in Canada and Club Sail became a Partner School in 2012.

International Yacht Training Worldwide

International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT) provides the most boating and sailing courses through more sailing schools than any other accreditation body. With 150 partner schools in 41 countries, IYT courses are available in 6 different languages. IYT has the most government approvals and operates in more countries and in more languages than any other boating or sailing organisation in the world. No other organisation offers such a diverse range of nautical training or is as internationally accepted as IYT Worldwide. IYT professional yachting courses are recognised by 25 different governments worldwide for commercial use including the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). With the IYT commitment to standards of excellence, hands on practical training, and quality instruction, IYT Worldwide is the world’s number one choice for nautical training.

International Certificate of Competence (ICC)

In 1979, the United Nations (UN) adopted a Resolution (No 14) intended to facilitate waterborne tourism and recommended a European International Certificate to provide reassurance that vessel operators were competent to ensure safety of navigation and protection of the environment as they moved from one country to another. In 1998, the UN updated and strengthened their proposals in Resolution 40 and adopted the International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft, more commonly referred to as the International Certificate of Competence or ICC. Resolution 40 not only included operators of pleasure craft on inland and coastal waters of foreign states but specifically included bareboat charter vessels. Significantly, it also set out the nautical, regulatory and technical competency requirements to be achieved and a minimum age (16 years) for the issue of an ICC irrespective of individual national schemes. Although 16 EU Member States have adopted Resolution 40, Spain has not. However, the relevant Ministry in Madrid confirms that Spain will accept an ICC issued by an EU Member State used for the purpose of confirming the qualifications of a Charterer or Skipper of a foreign flagged vessel.

The ICC in Tenerife

The ICC is a document which certifies that the Skipper of a foreign vessel or a Charterer is duly qualified. So, for a British Registered vessel, the ICC would provide proof that the Skipper is competent to navigate the vessel safely. However, the ICC is not intended as a qualification to Skipper a Spanish Registered vessel. All National Authorities require that the Skipper of a locally registered vessel, hold a local boating qualification. Spain is no different and Spanish law requires that the Skipper of a Spanish registered vessel holds a Spanish boating qualification. Saying this, the local authorities (Capitania) may at their discretion issue a letter of authority to enable a foreign Skipper to run a Spanish registered boat for

recreational purposes, based on an ICC. In 2012 the Spanish Government implemented legislation permitting Foreign Nationals, including Residents, to register their boat under their own National Flag. Therefore there is no hindrance to say a British National de-registering from the Spanish List and putting their boat under the red ensign. This not only ensures that your National qualifications and ICC are valid but negates the need to pay transmission taxes on a sale. This change in Spanish Law even permits Spaniards to operate foreign flagged vessels!

Professional Skippers

Skippers of Spanish List 6a commercial vessels must hold a valid Spanish commercial qualification, normally either the Patron Portuario or Capitan Embarcacion Recreo Professional. Following the changes in 2012, commercial vessels from EU Member States may operate in Spain as long as they are properly imported. Therefore, it is now quite acceptable for British flagged Small Commercial Vessels to operate here as long as they hold the SCV Certificate and are manned in accordance with British Regulations. It is still necessary for the vessels to be registered with the Transport Ministry and Capitania. In order to Skipper a British SCV Vessel you must hold a commercial qualification recognized by the UK Marine Coastguard Agency (MCA) and depending on the area, all or part of the STCW 95 basic safety course.

Club Sail IYT Courses

We at Club Sail can offer the full range of Sailing, Motor Yacht & Powerboat Courses required for Leisure Boating or Commercial Use. Our Small Powerboat & Rib Master Course is a two to three day course on board a Powerboat and in the classroom. Although most of our students take the course to learn how to operate their boat and to obtain an ICC, this course is fully recognized by the MCA as a Commercial Qualification permitting you to Skipper a 10m or 15m boat up to 20 miles offshore. You only need the addition of the STCW 95 Course to become a Professional Skipper.

What to do Now?

If you are considering buying a boat or need a boating qualification, speak to us first. We can advise you on all aspects of boating including Purchase, Registration and Training. You never know, we may even save you money.

If you have an existing good quality boat or yacht you will know how expensive they are to run. Consider putting the vessel with us for Charter Management, you could earn an income to offset the costs of running your vessel.

For further information on our courses or any aspect of boating, Contact Barbara:

Tel: 922 85 76 11 or 699 987 405

E-mail: barbara@clubsail.org

Web: www.clubsail.org