|Monday, September 28, 2020
You are here: Home » News » Local News » Puerto hotels set for major facelift
  • Follow Us!

Puerto hotels set for major facelift 

The hotel accommodation in Puerto de la Cruz is all set for a major refurbishment over the next few years.

The consortium behind the town’s new and changing image expects 7,833 tourist beds to be renewed in 2014, 2015 and 2016, almost 37%, and the creation of 329 new ones.

At the moment, 26 hotel groups have signed the renewal pledge, representing 30 hotels in total. Of these, three have already started their projects (Tigaiga, Orotava Palace and Vallemar). In the next three years, eight more are expected to begin and there will be three new constructions.

A meeting of the consortium revealed that to do all this will cost 123 million euros.

Twenty hoteliers attended the press conference at which Consortium and Cabildo president, Carlos Alonso stressed how much Puerto needed the change happening now and in the future. In recent years, there had been 61 projects, worth over 35.2 million euros.

Deputy Minister of Tourism, Ricardo Fernández de la Puente said the Canary Government would support entrepreneurs who wanted to renovate their establishments. He said they worked with financial institutions to provide credit.

Ashotel president, Jorge Marichal stressed the importance of the renewal plan and its central role in bringing Puerto to the place it deserved to be.