|Tuesday, August 11, 2020
You are here: Home » News » Local News » San Andrés waiting for go-ahead
  • Follow Us!

San Andrés waiting for go-ahead 

 

Santa Cruz has once again asked the Spanish Government to declare the dam of San Andrés a state of emergency with immediate effect.

Councillor for public works and fourth deputy Mayor, Dámaso Arteaga said this would unblock the project drawn up by the Port Authority and allow construction to begin.

The project would cost around 2.4 million euros but would ensure the safety of residents and businesses along the sea-front. At the moment, the community is still under threat from huge waves but a semi-submerged dam is seen as the only solution. It is hoped that work could finish in 2014.

The worst storm was in 2011 but Sr. Arteaga said the city council had kept its promise and repaired all the major damage which had been caused.

In May, the government delegate in the Canary Islands, María del Carmen Hernández Bento said the State would declare the work an emergency.