|Thursday, January 28, 2021
You are here: Home » Motoring world » Emma & Graham Swain » The Importance of keeping records and paperwork up to date
  • Follow Us!

The Importance of keeping records and paperwork up to date 


We all know that if we move, change our name etc. we should advise the necessary authorities but many people do not and suffer consequences as a result. Most women that get married will want to change their name and subsequently change their passport as well as their driving license.

If you are a resident in Tenerife the same rules apply but many people do not do here what they would automatically do in the UK. If you get married or change your name your NIE number remains the same but you would have to go to the National Police station in order to obtain a new residencia in your new name. The same applies to a driving license.

Many people think that it is okay to hold a UK License whilst living permanently in another country. This is not so. The DVLA web site clearly states that you MUST BE A UK RESIDENT and be able to prove address for 3 years to apply for or renew a driving license, it also has a section called “Moving abroad” that states: If you move abroad, check with the driving licence authorities there to find out how to get a local driving license. Also if you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving license. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.

It is also very important to keep Hacienda, Social Security and Tráfico up to date with your address as if you do not and any notifications are sent  to you, you will not receive them and the first you may then know is when there is an embargo on your bank account/car/house etc. It is worth noting that once a case has been started by any of the above authorities they will continue to write to the initial address they had even if you have subsequently updated it.

With regard to Tráfico the address shown on your driving license takes preference over any address at which any vehicle you may own is registered, so you must change the address on that first before changing addresses on cars owned by you.

If you require any further information on any motoring related matters please contact me on emma@motorworldtenerife.com.