|Wednesday, November 21, 2018
You are here: Home » News » Local News » Dramatic work in Puerto as caves filled under road
  • Follow Us!

Dramatic work in Puerto as caves filled under road 

PAGE 5 DRAMATIC

Dramatic work is being carried out on the beachfront of Puerto de la Cruz to shore up four caves which have been found under a road and near houses.

The estimated budget of the action in calle Tegueste amounts to 525,000 euros and completion is scheduled for the end of the year.

Puerto council started the work at the end of July after the geotechnical study carried out in the area.

The Mayor, Lope Afonso said the declaration of urgency in these works had been fundamental since it enabled “immediate action in the area”, allowing residents “to be more calm and confident in the resolution of problems on the street”.

A large crane has been brought in on the land in front of the treatment plant. This allows the descent of a shovel to the coastal area where the caves are located. At the same time, rocks of large dimensions, of five tons, have been deposited, which will serve to cover and later concrete the cavities.

Town planning councillor, Juan Carlos Marrero said they were concentrating on the first two caves first of all, putting in bolts and iron joists which would srengthen the entire road. Afterwards, there would be concreting and covering of the caves, in addition to making a fort with rocks to prevent the sea from reaching the repaired area.

Likewise, work is being done on caves 3 and 4, located at the end of the street, next to the calle Bencomo staircase where a wall is being constructed.

Puerto couocil says it has not been necessary to vacate any home. However, this would be ordered if necessary, as happened when the road collapsed in May of 2015.