|Thursday, April 19, 2018
You are here: Home » News » Local News » Domestic violence again condemned after woman found strangled in wardrobe
  • Follow Us!

Domestic violence again condemned after woman found strangled in wardrobe 

PAGE 3 DOMESTIC

Another case of shocking domestic violence left residents of the southern town of El Fraile, near Las Galletas, totally stunned.

The murder of the 28-year-old woman, allegedly strangled, has been deplored by women’s groups battling this problem and by Arona council which observed a silence in her memory as did other authorities.

Both the victim and a man who was later arrested, aged around 45, were from Cuba.

The woman’s body was reportedly found wrapped in a carpet and hidden inside a wardrobe at 4am. Police confirmed she had suffered a violent death but there had apparently been no previous reports of any trouble or incidents.

She had been working as a waitress in the cafeteria of a petrol station in the south of Tenerife before taking up a job here as a doctor as she was awaiting the arrival of her professional papers. Police were alerted to a possible tragedy by the woman’s family in Los Cristianos who were concerned for her welfare.

The woman’s six-year-old boy was taken into care by her family. The wanted man was arrested in La Laguna, reportedly on his way to catch a flight at the north airport. Spanish newspapers say the woman had been living, legally, in Tenerife for about a year but her partner had only joined her a month ago. They lived in rented accommodation in El Fraile.

Deploring this latest death, sub-delegate of the Government in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Guillermo Díaz said there had been four deaths due to domestic violence in the Canaries this year. She has urged all residents of the Canaries to continue to report any suspicions of domestic violence via 016 or 112.

“Good prevention is the best thing that can be done in these cases,” he said. The accused man has already made a preliminary appearance before a magistrate. Following the death, Arona council immediately called two days of mourning with representatives expressing their sorrow and consternation. All their activities were suspended for 48 hours from 6pm on November 1st and flags flew at half-mast as a sign of mourning. As a sign of support for the victim’s relatives and in order to publicly express the condemnation of the Arona people to this crime and all forms of sexist violence, citizens were invited to join in a protest and minute of silence in the town hall square of Arona last Thursday.