|Monday, December 18, 2017
You are here: Home » Pets world » Danger! Sugar substitute can be fatal to your pet
  • Follow Us!

Danger! Sugar substitute can be fatal to your pet 

PAGE 24 DANGER

Xylitol is a common sugar substitute that can be toxic to dogs in even small amounts and it can be fatal.

It’s regularly found in sugar-free chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, vitamin supplements and in a small handful of peanut butter brands.

In 2016, there were more than 250 cases of xylitol poisoning in the UK reported to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service and most of these were down to dogs getting their paws on chewing gum. At least one of these pets sadly died. There will have been many more cases of xylitol poisoning in the UK that went unreported.

Prevention is key; all human food should be kept out of the reach of dogs, but be particularly vigilant around products containing xylitol. Ensure no packs of chewing gum are left lying around the home or kept in pockets and handbags that your pet can raid.

Urgent veterinary attention is needed if your dog has eaten xylitol.

Xylitol can cause hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels) as a dog’s pancreas will confuse it will real sugar, which makes it release more insulin. The insulin then removes the real sugar in the body, leading to plummeting blood sugar levels. Another reaction to xylitol is liver failure and this is even more serious, but it’s not known what causes this to happen.

Products can have widely varying levels of xylitol in them, but only small amounts of the substance can cause serious harm. Depending on the concentration of xylitol and the size of the dog, just one stick of chewing gum is enough to be toxic and make your pet critically ill.

What to do

If you suspect that your dog has eaten something containing xylitol, you need to get them to the vets straight away as it can be absorbed into the blood stream rapidly. If a drop in blood sugar levels is prevented or brought under control quickly, the prognosis is good.

Delays in veterinary intervention can cause further complications, irreversible damage and increase the likelihood of xylitol poisoning becoming fatal. Ensure that, wherever possible, you take the packaging of the product that your dog has consumed to the vets.

The symptoms

Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, but you should never wait for symptoms to appear before seeking veterinary help; this can put your dog’s life at risk. In most cases, symptoms will start to appear within half-an-hour but can take anything up to 12 hours to develop in some cases.

If you get to the vets early enough then your vet may be able to induce vomiting to get the product out of your dog’s system, greatly reducing the chances of any serious damage. After this, your dog is likely to be put on a sugar intravenous drip to regulate blood sugar levels and kept under close monitoring for two to three days. If the liver is affected, the condition is far more serious and will normally require specialist life-saving treatment.

Xylitol can be toxic to other animals so keep all products containing it, and all other human food, out of the reach of all pets in the household.