|Saturday, October 21, 2017
You are here: Home » News » Local News » La Orotava’s Baroque church to get facelift this summer
  • Follow Us!

La Orotava’s Baroque church to get facelift this summer 

Work is to start this summer on restoring an old church in La Orotava, described by experts as “the shining jewel of Baroque architecture in the Canary Islands.”

Approval has been given following a 200-page report into the condition of the Church of La Concepción and what actions are needed for its conservation.

Councillor for patrimony, Narciso Pérez said the study had identified priority work but also left the door open for future projects.

“It will allow us to soon begin the rehabilitation work for the entire exterior of the Church of Concepcion , jewel of the Baroque in the Canary Islands,” he said.

The investment will amount to about 183,000 euros, 80 per cent of which is funded by Tenerife Cabildo and the remaining 20 per cent by the Diocese. La Orotava has assumed the entire cost of the master plan which amounted to 8,000 euros.

Sr. Pérez said the outlay was more than justified because the church was a national historic monument and part of La Orotava’s heritage.

The Cabildo, council and parish priest Oscar Guerra are confident that the rehabilitation works of the exteriors of the temple can begin this summer. The works will mainly consist of the exterior painting of the whole building and treatment and cleaning of the stone of the facade.