|Thursday, May 25, 2017
You are here: Home » Daily News » Jobs scheme brings work to 51 people in Guía de Isora
  • Follow Us!

Jobs scheme brings work to 51 people in Guía de Isora 

PAGE 10 JOBS

A vast area of Guia de Isora is to be “spruced up”, thanks to an unemployment programme which is giving work to 51 people for six months.

The team will be involved in improvements to public spaces and facilities, as well as “cultural or tourist dynami-sation” following an agreement between the local council and the Government of the Canary Islands.

The project “Support for Public Services 2017” got underway recently with the 51 participants selected by the Canary Service of Employment.

They will work on the conservation of historical and cultural heritage; maintenance of infrastructures; Improve-ment of public spaces; cleaning of roads and munici-pal trails and improving accessibility in towns such as Playa de San Juan. They have also been hired for citizen participation projects through social, business and tourism dynamism.

The Mayor, Pedro Martín stressed “the enormous effort the municipality is doing since the State does not finance employment agreements as it did before, and that means a blow to the administrations trying to hire and thus improve the quality of life of those who have been unemployed for so long.”

However, he added: “It is never enough, because there are always people who are left out, but we will not stop presenting projects and looking for subsidies so more residents can work.”

This project has a budget of 618,917 euros, of which the Canary Islands Government and the Canarian Federation of Municipalities contribute 36 per cent, 224,596 euros, and the remaining 64 per cent, which amounts to 394,321 euros, comes from Guia de Isora council.