|Monday, October 22, 2018
You are here: Home » Pets world » Glue alert!
  • Follow Us!

Glue alert! 

Dog owners are being warned about the dangers of waterproof glues after several cases of pets eating the substance and needing major surgery.

Products containing polyurethane, commonly used for home improvements, are water activated and expand to form a strong foam bond between materials like wood, stone and metal.

But at least three dogs in the UK have fallen seriously ill after eating the glue which then swelled and formed large obstructions in their stomachs.

A warning has now been issued by Veterinary Poisons Information Service, citing three cases which have been reported to the organisation.

Puncturing a container of the glue causes it to expand on contact with air up to 50 times its original volume, so even a small amount is potentially dangerous if eaten.

In the incidents which have been reported, all of the pets went on to make a full recovery. Avoid giving you dog water for at least three hours as it can increase the size of the mass