|Monday, August 20, 2018
You are here: Home » News » Canary Islands News » Canary Emergency Service helped 787 people a day in 2016
  • Follow Us!

Canary Emergency Service helped 787 people a day in 2016 

The Canarian Emergency Service (SUC) helped 288,102 people who needed some kind of prehospital or urgent health care during 2016.

To this end, the SUC had to mobilise 247,834 times its mobile resource base (including ambulances, helicopters and medicalised planes) which generated an average of 677 interventions per day .

This level of assistance represents a 2.5 per cent increase in the number of people assisted over the previous year, which means that the SUC has attended a daily average of 787 people per day in 2016.

To reach these figures, the SUC has dealt with 304,929 health claims generated from 289,794 incidents. Of these, 37 per cent, 112,753, were situations of health emergency in which there was an imminent danger to the lives of the people involved, and just over 28 per cent, 85,769, were health emergencies.

Of the more than 300,000 health claims, 78 per cent needed the mobilisation of some type of mobile health resource, while the remaining 22 per cent were resolved from the co-ordinating centre itself through tele-assistance provided by the coordinating doctors, whether medical consultation or health information.

The mobile health resources that registered a greater number of mobilisations were once again basic life support ambulances, which performed more than 80 per cent of services with a total of 199,604. They are followed by sanitised and medicalised ambulances that were mobilized on more than seven per cent of the occasions respectively and, a little further away, the health resources of the network and Primary Care personnel, who responded to numerous emergencies and health emergencies.

As for air medical facilities, the two medical helicopters of the SUC were activated last year 998 times for health emergencies and interhospital transport between different health centres. For its part, the medicalised airplane carried out a total of 648 secondary transport, which means the carrying out of almost two daily transfers of patients between islands or between the archipelago and the peninsula.

The province of Las Palmas accounted for 57.6 per cent of the health claims compared to 42.4 per cent generated in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.