What should I do in the event of a car accident?
Summer is now here in beautiful, sunny Spain. With temperatures soaring it’s a great feeling, although a tad hot at times for all expats that live and work in this tranquilo environment; tranquilo that is until the influx of tourists from many countries around the world especially from Britain and the rest of Europe.
Now, more than other times during the year, one needs to be even more careful than ever on the roads. With all these extra cars and drivers, who are perhaps more used to driving on the left, an increase in the risk of traffic accidents is inevitable.
Always make sure your tyre pressures are correct by checking them at least once a month. Also check your car’s radiator level is topped up; the last thing you want is to overheat and have to wait for a breakdown truck on the edge of a busy motorway! It’s also illegal to run out of screen wash, so make sure this is topped up too. And driving with flip-flops or shoes with no back is not permitted either. Needless to say, seat belts must be worn all round, and young children need safety harnesses. Using mobile phones are a definite no no, INCLUDING texting, which is probably worse than speaking.
Should the unthinkable happen, here are some tips that everyone, from a new driver to an experienced one, should remember in the case of an accident:
* Stay calm and wear the reflective vest
* Get to a safe area near the accident scene, turn on your emergency flashers and use the two triangles
* Make sure everyone is okay and call 112, if necessary
* When it is safe, take pictures of the vehicles involved, damage, road signs, etc.
* Get statements and contact information from any witnesses
* Complete the accident report: write down the other driver’s licence number, insurance details, vehicle information and phone number. Remember it has to be signed by both drivers and reported within seven days; If you need road assistance, call immediately to 900 101 369, Liberty Free Phone Number, where you will be attended in your own language.
LIBERTY SEGUROS Car Insurance is tailor-made with you in mind and is perfect for Expats in Spain. It offers total coverage to both the driver and passengers in case of an accident, as well as roadside assistance from kilometre zero. It also includes help with legal defence, bail bonds and even courtesy car as standard. You can select a vehicle repair shop of your choice should you ever need one, and good drivers will be rewarded with no-claims discounts of up to 65%.
Liberty Seguros brokers, with many years of experience, can give you in-depth information about the different policies on offer and advise you on the best cover to suit your family, be it in English, Spanish, German, Dutch or Scandinavian.
With LIBERTY SEGUROS you will always be in safe hands. With over 175,000 international clients and over 300 brokers, LIBERTY SEGUROS is the leading expatriate insurance provider in Spain, with a wide range of products to protect all that really matters.
So, call Liberty Seguros on 902 255 258 for further information, or visit: www.libertyexp-atriates.es to find out the name of your nearest broker.