|Saturday, February 23, 2019
You are here: Home » Pets world » Watch out for the trees!
  • Follow Us!

Watch out for the trees! 

page 24

Many people are aware that certain holiday plants, such as mistletoe and holly, are poisonous to pets but what about the most common holiday “plant,” the Christmas tree?

We worry about pets tipping the tree over or tearing open the presents, but what about those pets who choose to eat the tree?

Christmas can be a scary time for pets, especially cats who can’t resist the tree and other holiday plants, many of which are poisonous. Toxicity of holiday plants varies from mild to extreme. The level of poisoning (illness) is also related to amount of the plant ingested.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees are considered to be mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting. The tree needles are not easily digested either; possibly causing GI irritation, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction or puncture.

Artificial trees are also dangerous when eaten. The principal things to worry about are toxin release from the artificial material and intestinal obstruction (not digestible).

As noted earlier, the amount of trouble depends on how much is consumed. Many times, pets don’t consume mass quantities of tree material.

The best thing is to keep your pets away from the tree when you are not home. This will allow you to be able to “supervise” any tree or plant eating activity.

What to look for

If your pet has chewed on the Christmas tree or other plants, monitor for any changes of behaviour (exces-sive licking, salivating), appetite, activity, water consu-mption, vomiting and diarr-hea.

Holiday plants that are used as decoration and those given as gifts may pose threats to your pets, ranging from mild to severe toxicity potential.

Christmas lights, on the tree and elsewhere in the home also pose a hazard to curious pets. Chewing on cords and lights will cause electric shocks and burns in the mouth. Check cords regularly for signs of chewing and general wear and tear. If you notice that your pet is reluctant to eat, drooling or showing signs of a painful mouth (i.e. not wanting to play with regular toys) be sure to rule out electrical burns in addition to dental and other diseases.

Holiday ornaments also pose a risk. Ingestion of ornaments can cause gastrointestinal blockage or rupture. Depending on what materials were used to make the ornament, toxicity may result if ingested.